Quotations to Live (Teach) By

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Albert Einstein


Wednesday, January 17, 2007

English 1100

I'm teaching English 1100 for the second time this semester. I have completely overhauled how I am teaching it, and am hoping to make full use of what I learn in Allen's teaching and technology.

First off, I am attempting to make my section paperless. Through WebCT Vista, e-mail, and a completely wired/wireless classroom, I might be able to avoid any paper submissions. I am even contemplating having the students submit an electronic portfolio at the end of the semester. This should eliminate the need to hang on to boxes full of old unclaimed student portfolios between semesters.

One of the major projects my students will be working on is the creation of a MOO for novels they are reading. In groups of four or five, students will study a novel, plan how to present it, and then create a virtual environment that represents that novel. I am excited about what they will be able to come up with. With novels like A Scanner Darkly and Heart of Darkness to choose from, there are too many possibilities to comprehend. Most of my students share my excitement, but there are a few nervous students who worry about the technology side of the project. I plan on spending a little time each week getting them over the learning curve. I want this to be a fun and (relatively) stress-free project.

No comments: