Quotations to Live (Teach) By

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Albert Einstein


Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Multi-tasking in class

I'm running into some conflicts between what I know intellectually about education and what annoys me as an instructor. Specifically, I am conflicted about students multi-tasking in class.

I know that students have the ability to participate while doing something else in class. I do it myself. However, I think there is a line where students and have completely checked out and are no longer participating. Now, this is college and they are adults. I'm not about to start calling students out for checking on their e-mail in class.

I don't lecture much in class, so when students aren't participating, they're missing good class discussion - discussion that they should be adding to. They are missing out, but so are their classmates who would benefit from that they have to say.

I do a lot of small group discussions in class, and this forces students into participating. We also have group projects that necessitate full participation. It's really only during the full group discussion that I am noticing this problem.

I feel like the structure of the class I am teaching is a big part of the problem. Students are in straight rows with computers facing away from me.

I guess I'm just thinking out loud here. I've already decided that my next course of action is a class discussion on this.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Is it possible to rearrange the furniture in the classroom? If not, I would suggest walking around a bit during the discussion, particularly by those students who have checked-out of discussion and into a chat room. This may catch their attention. Also, you might just make an announcement to the class as a whole or just have a quick chat after class with the particular students that you notice are not participating. Just mention that you know that they have great ideas and you would appreciate them sharing. Also, tell them that you understand their situation (busy college student-must multi-task) but would appreciate if they would find a better time in the class period to check e-mail or whatever.

Todd Bannon said...

That's the biggest problem I have with this room: you cannot change its layout. All the desks are bolted to the floor in straight rows. It completely goes against my personal pedagogy.

We ended up talking about the issue in the last class session. It seemed to have an immediate effect - we'll see if it's long lasting. Sometimes students just need to know explicitly what you want from them.

My next step will be individual conversations. I'm conferencing with students on their papers coming up anyway, and this will offer a good way to discuss the issue.