Quotations to Live (Teach) By

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Albert Einstein


Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Blogging was OED Word of the Day

I just started subscribing to the OED's Word of the Day RSS feed. One of the nice things about Google Reader is I get the older feeds whenever I get a new subscription. I was browsing through today and came across this entry:

weblogging, n.: OED Word of the Day
from Oxford English Dictionary by Oxford English Dictionary

1995 Re: Help! in comp.lang.awk (Usenet newsgroup) 26 Oct., I'm just logging my
web-hits for personal satisfaction and so I can provide some info for the
curious. BTW, I've streamlined and expanded my web logging in the last few days. 1998 InfoWorld (Nexis) 16 Nov. 56d, Bypassing Web
Commander..will prevent you from taking advantage of all of SOS-Pro's Internet
features, including time limits and Web logging. 1999 Web
Techniques July 51/1 Web logging was originally designed for Web engineers to
diagnose problems and measure total throughput, not to provide insights that
could improve the marketing performance of a site. 2002
Economist (Electronic ed.) 6 July 67 Yet just when old media began to feel smug
again about its old-fashioned paper-based products, weblogging (known as
blogging) happened.

NOTE: I'm not sure if the links in this post will work if you don't have an OED subscription. I am subscribed via WMU.

No comments: