Quotations to Live (Teach) By

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Albert Einstein


Friday, February 23, 2007

Podcasting Brain Freeze

I'm really excited about the potential for podcasting. It's yet another tool I'm considering for my ENGL 4790 students next semester.

In the meantime, I am still considering what I'm going to do for my demo podcast this week. I have student conferences on Monday, so I'm considering interviewing them and putting that on a podcast. I could ask them questions about conferencing in general, the writing process, or texts we've read this semester. Hmm... I'll have to think about that. Alternatively, I could do a solo podcast on an educational technology topic.

All this thinking about podcasting made me decide that I really should be podcasting my poetry shows at Ravenwood. I went to Guitar World to purchase something that would enable me to record directly from the microphone to the computer. I have a cheap little 4 channel Crate PA system and the inputs are somewhat limited. They tried to sell me a $200 solution, which would make sense if I was in a band. However, for spoken word, it seemed overkill. Instead I purchased two cords that split the signal from the mic cable and then divert one of the signals to my computer. For $30 I can now get direct recording to the computer that I can easily turn into a podcast.

I can also use one of the wires to connect the mic directly into my computer when I'm not using the PA system. I guess I can return the WMU microphone I borrowed.

No comments: