Quotations to Live (Teach) By

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Albert Einstein


Thursday, February 1, 2007

I'm not sure how I feel about this...

Thanks to Rob and my new obsession with RSS feeds, I came across this article:

Student’s Recording of Teacher’s Views Leads to a Ban on Taping

I think the student did the right thing in recording his teacher. The teacher had definitely crossed over the line separating church and state. He was imposing his religious views on his students. The student who recorded him knew that no one would believe him without the recording.

However... what do we think about being recorded without our knowledge or permission? What if it was the school administration or the federal government that had been doing the recording? Conservatives are encouraging college students to record their liberal professors to gain ammunition against them. I would be a hypocrite if I supported the student in question here but condemned the conservative students.

I guess I come down on the side of a classroom where students feel safe to express themselves freely. If they feared their comments would be made public on the Youtube, then our discussions wouldn't be as frank and honest.

No comments: